My Aussie Grassfed Beef and Lamb Patty Melt with Mushroom and Bacon Gravy was inspired by one of my favorite recipes EVER, Low Country Bacon Gravy. My parents taught this girl how to love her gravy and I’ve been cooking the recipe ever since. Brown, giblet, milk, mushroom, and onion gravies have all found a home in both my heart and hearth.
The quintessential American food has graced many plates in my lifetime, so I had a hunch that the savory milk gravy would pair beautifully with my True Aussie Beef and Lamb and blended mushroom patty melt. My hunch paid off with a First Place Win at the 2018 Annual Mushroom Festival Amateur Cook-Off held in Kennet Square, Pennsylvania on September 8, 2018.
About The Cook-Off:
The 2018 theme is: Mushrooms Blended with Grassfed Beef or Lamb
Blended mushroom recipes require ground mushrooms to be mixed with a protein. As a trendy meat extender, the mushrooms create a unique, flavorful combination for burgers, meatballs, tacos, stuffing, or even a Bolognese sauce. The 2018 Mushroom Festival Amateur Cook-Off will focus on blending mushrooms with grassfed beef or lamb. At the Cook-off all recipes will be made with the Australian grassfed beef or lamb of our partner True Aussie Beef and Lamb.
About The Competitors & Awards:
This year’s Mushroom Festival Amateur Cook-off theme was Mushrooms Blended with Grassfed Beef and Lamb. The entries that came in were amazing and ranged the gamut from hummus and burgers to potstickers and chili. Cuisines ranged from Chinese, Mexican, Mediterranean, and American. Each recipe was tested and rated by a panel of local food enthusiasts and the following six finalists were chosen:
- Rebecka Evans (Me) of Pearland, TX– American Fusion Patty Melt with Low Country Mushroom-Bacon Gravy
- Jill Gilber of Philadelphia, PA– Exotic Spiced Beef & Silky Buttered Mushrooms over Hummus
- Devon Delaney of Westport, CT – Ginger Snapped Lamb and Mushroom Lettuce Cups with Lemon Mint Yogurt Sauce & Buttered Pistachios
- Janine Washle, of Eastview, KY – Hunter’s Style Beef and Wild Mushrooms over Creamy Parmesan Grits
- Lynne Laino, of Downingtown, PA – Kennett Square Gyros with Tzatziki and Crispy Shiitakes
- Daniel Richeal of Kennett Square, PA – Mushroom Risotto with Savory Mushroom and Lamb Meatballs
Each of the finalists will take home from the Cook-off at least a $100 Cash Prize, a $250 Gift Card and Party Pack from True Aussie Beef and Lamb and a Kitchen Aid 3.5-Cup One-Touch 2-Speed Chopper with Extra Bowl.
The first place winner will receive $1500 cash prize and a Golden Ticket to the World Food Championships to compete in the Burger Category ($1500 value). Second place receives a $300 cash prize and third place receives a $200 cash prize. There will be a special $250 cash prize for Best Use of Butter with Mushrooms.
The Official Rules:
- Charged with the task of blending mushrooms and the choice to use either True Aussie Beef or Lamb, I decided to blend my mushrooms with both proteins. The 80/20 mixture of ground beef and lamb was the perfect bite of deliciousness set against the caramelized onions, domestic Swiss cheese, and mushroom-bacon gravy. I added my favorite bread, marbled rye to make a marriage of flavors that create this blended American Fusion patty melt.
- Contestants were also asked to use Challenge Butter in their recipes to be judged in a special ancillary contest for a chance to win $250 cash prize for Best Use of Butter with Mushrooms. Jill Gilber (one of my dearest friends and fellow food competitors) won the contest with her Exotic Spiced Beef & Silky Buttered Mushrooms over Hummus.
- Finally, the contestants were asked to submit a photo of their recipe for a chance to win and additional $250.00. The photos pictured on my blog were chosen by a panel of judges as the winner. Doubly blessed, I won the First Place Prize of $1500.00 and then another $250.00 for my recipe photos. The cash prize is such a treat but the experience is priceless!
Fun Facts About Cream Gravy:
- People throughout this great nation have long made gravy with whatever is stuck to the bottom of the skillet, but Texas deserves a special citation for their love of cream gravy. It’s a simple, perfect meld of leftover fat, flour, milk or cream and—crucially—plenty of black pepper, stirred together over heat until it’s sufficiently thick. Spooned lavishly over a chicken-fried steak, it’s something akin to heaven in liquid form.
- Texans can’t take all the credit for milk gravy, Low Country Bacon Gravy, and other milk based gravy are the cuisine of the Southern United States developed in the traditionally defined American South; influenced by African, English, Scottish, Irish, French, Spanish, and Native American cuisines. Tidewater, Appalachian, Creole, Lowcountry, and Floribbean are examples of types of Southern cuisine. In recent history, elements of Southern cuisine have spread north, having an effect on the development of other types of American cuisine. wikipedia.com
INGREDIENTS: 15 ounces’ True Aussie Ground beef 3 ounces True Aussie Ground Lamb 2 pounds Mixed Mushrooms (baby portabella, white button) divided 1 1/2 cups Heavy cream 22 slices Bacon, (about 24 ounces) 16 slices cooked whole, 6 cooked and chopped, all bacon fat reserved 2 1/2 teaspoons flour 2 sticks Challenge butter, 1 cup Marbled Jewish Rye Bread 16 slices Swiss cheese 1 large Sweet Onions 1 bunch green onions, chopped 1 tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary water to thin gravy if necessary Rosemary seasoned sea salt Fresh cracked black pepper to taste Long rosemary sprigs for garnish Mixed mushroom for garnish Instructions: Sliced Mushroom Blend: Blended Burger: Mushroom Gravy: Making the Patty Melt:
Aussie Grass Feed Beef and Lamb Patty Melt with Mushroom and Bacon Gravy
15 ounces’ True Aussie Ground beef
3 ounces True Aussie Ground Lamb
2 pounds Mixed Mushrooms (baby portabella, white button) divided
1 1/2 cups Heavy cream
22 slices Bacon, (about 24 ounces) 16 slices cooked whole, 6 cooked and chopped, all bacon fat reserved
2 1/2 teaspoons flour
2 sticks Challenge butter, 1 cup
Marbled Jewish Rye Bread
16 slices Swiss cheese
1 large Sweet Onions
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary
water to thin gravy if necessary
Rosemary seasoned sea salt
Fresh cracked black pepper to taste
Long rosemary sprigs for garnish
Mixed mushroom for garnish
Sliced Mushroom Blend:
Making the Patty Melt:
Jennifer Daskevich, Owner @tikihutbrands.com Event MC, Culinary Brand Ambassador, True Aussie Beef and Lamb
Jennifer Basciani, Mushroom Festival Amateur Cook-Off and Culinary Event Coordinator
John D’Amico J.D. Mushrooms, Inc Senior VP
The Mushroom Festival – The Mushroom Festival
Fun Fact About Gravy- My Recipes .com
Lowcountry – Wikipedia