Grilled Cheese Waffle Sandwich with Onion-Fig Jam and Havarti
Savory Grilled Cheese Waffle Sandwich with Onion-Fig Jam and Havarti
This delicious sweet and savory waffle grilled cheese sandwich was entered into a few cooking contest the past two years unfortunately, the recipe didn’t take home any prizes and has sat in my drafts folder since then. I decided my grilled recipe creation is just to yummy not to share so, I’m dusting off the cobwebs and finally publishing it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
- 1/2 lb Havarti Cheese, thick sliced
- 1 lb sliced off the bone ham
- 1 lb sliced roast beef
- 1/2 pound thick cut bacon (about 8 slices)
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 Eggs
- 2 cups milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ tsp thyme
- ¼ tsp rosemary
- ¼ tsp chives
- ½ tablespoon prepared garlic
- ½ teaspoon spring onion
- 1 medium onion
- 5 dried figs
- 1 tablespoon Champagne Honey Mustard
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Cracked Pepper Marinade (see note in Spicy Mayonnaise below)
- ¼ cup butter
- Heat Oven 400 degrees F.
- Place 8 slices thick cut bacon onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes or until bacon is crisp. Remove from oven and set aside until ready to build sandwich. Reduce oven to 300 degrees F.
- Slice onions thinly and chop figs
- In a medium sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until just begin to caramelize, about 10 minutes, add dried figs and continue to cook, stirring regularly until thick and dark brown in color. About 20-25 minutes. Add a few tablespoons of water if jam gets dry.
- In a bowl sift together, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt
- In another bowl beat eggs until creamy, add the milk and chopped herbs, spring onion, oil and garlic paste. Whisk until ingredients are well blended, then add the sifted dry ingredients.
- Cook waffles until crisp. Set cooked waffles aside until ready to assemble the sandwich
- In a small bowl combine, ketchup, mayonnaise and hot pepper sauce. Blend well and set aside until ready to serve sandwiches. (any pepper sauce will do, sriracha, Thai chili, peppercorn paste, etc)
- To Assemble Sandwich: begin building the sandwiches by adding thick sliced Havarti cheese, about three slices for each bottom half of waffle sandwich. (makes 4 sandwiches or 8 waffles) then layer a few slices of ham, roast beef and cooked bacon on-top of the cheese. Add a dollop of Onion-Jam and another layer of Havarti cheese. Top sandwich with another waffle.
- Heat a cast iron skillet to medium. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in skillet and cook one sandwich at a time until cheese is melted. Carefully, flip sandwich once during the cooking process. Transfer cooked sandwich to a plate and keep warm in oven. Continue process until all sandwiches are made
If you’re in the mood for more delicious sandwich recipes check out my famous POLISH ZAPIEKANKA