Bacon wrapped prawns with tarragon lemon roasted sweet potato and parsnip is my last recipe installment for the 2015 Saucy Mama Recipe Contest. The winner of the Saucy Mama Recipe Contest was announced June 10, 2015. Unfortunately, I didn’t get the Golden Ticket. 🙁
I have to admit, it was a difficult loss for me, but I feel fortunate to have been chosen to compete in the first place. Thanks again, Barhyte Specialty Foods and Saucy Mama for including me in the first 25 contenders.
Merry Graham from Merry Cooking won with the contest her delicious In-or-Out Ham and Cheese Melts. Congratulations, Merry! You’re the sauciest mama! Best of luck to you at the 2015 World Food Championships.
As you can see from the photo above, I created Bacon Wrapped Prawns with Tarragon Lemon Roasted Sweet Potato and Parsnip, to go with the Saucy Mama Creamy Horseradish Filet Mignon with Hot Raspberry Dressed Broccoli Rabe and Sugar Plum Tomato Sauté.
I originally planned to create a surf ‘n turf meal for the competition. However, each recipe was so delicious, not to mention, the recipe title was ridiculously long, I decided to let each recipe stand on its own. Sadly, I also forgot to include the product in the photo, rendering both recipes unusable for the contest. UGH! One day I will learn!
Creating recipes and competing in cooking contests is a love hate relationship for me. So much time, effort and money goes into each dish created and with that, so goes all of my heart.
A roller coaster ride of crazy ups and downs, begins the moment you’re chosen to compete. First, I’m ecstatic with energy, filled with anticipation as my mind races to put together something new and wonderful for the judges. It’s almost like a holiday when the mailman drops off the products the host company provides to create that perfect dish, and taste testing brings a whole new meaning to excitement, and the possibilities for a winning recipe.
In the end, I’ve spent days if not weeks, creating, cooking and photographing the dishes, and then more time spent editing photos, writing, editing and rewriting the recipe post, and then rewriting it again. On the good days, it all flows like butter, but on other days, you forget to put the product in your food shot and have to start all over again, or choose to move on to a new recipe. These are the days you aren’t sure you’ll make it, but you press on in hopes of winning the Golden Ticket.
Then… we wait for the winner to be announced, and we all know there can only be one winner.
On a side note: I’m blessed to have time during the day to devote to recipe creation and competitions. Some of the competitors work full-time jobs and have to create recipes in their off hours. We really love this or we wouldn’t do it, right?
The good news: despite not winning the contest, I created some amazing new recipes which include this stunning bacon wrapped prawns recipe.
This recipe is a keeper and one you need to try because it’s off the chain!
To the other 23 amazing home cooks that put just as much time and energy into your dishes, I send you my best. Again, Congratulations to Merry, you rocked it!!
- 6 large prawns
- 1 9 ounce jar Saucy Mama Hatch Green Chili Mustard (divided)
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 1 9 ounce jar Saucy Mama Tarragon Lemon Mustard (divided)
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 6 parsnip
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Wash and peel vegetables
- Cut vegetables into long strips, about 1/4 inch thickness
- In a medium mixing bowl combine, 1 tablespoon olive oil and 3 tablespoons Saucy Mama Tarragon Lemon Mustard, mix to combine. Chop tarragon and add to mixture, toss to coat vegetables
- Spray a grill pan with cooking oil
- Arrange vegetables on grill pan and cook at 425 F. for 15-20 minutes, turn every 5-6 minutes
- Bake until golden browned and grill marks appear on all sides
- Peel the prawns and rinse, pat dry
- Season prawns lightly with salt and pepper
- Brush each prawn with Saucy Mama Hatch Green Chili Mustard (about 1/2 teaspoon each)
- Remove bacon from package
- Wrap one piece of bacon around each prawn, brush each bacon wrapped prawn with Saucy Mama Hatch Green Chili Mustard
- Using the same grill pan, arrange bacon wrapped prawns a few inches apart
- Cook in hot oven for 6 minutes on one side, turn prawns and cook additional 5-6 minutes on the other side or until bacon is crisp. To keep the prawns from over cooking a hand torch can be used to crisp the bacon after removed from oven
- Serve prawns with tarragon roasted vegetables and additional Hatch Green Chili Mustard