Campground Skillet-Mexican Lasagna with Creamy Salsa
Del Real Foods Recipe Challenge 2016
‘Best Outdoor’ by Rebecka Evans
I’m competing in a non-voting challenge however, your comments and votes are always welcome. Check out my recipe on the Del Real Foods Contest page.
Link to vote: www.delrealfoods.com/voting Let the voting begin!
Del Real Foods convenient heat-and-serve dishes are the perfect solution for making delicious Campground Skillets. Using a variety of my favorite Del Real Food Products, I pre-make three or four skillet-lasagnas to feed my family and friends delicious and authentic Mexican dishes that can be cooked over an open fire or gas grill and ready to eat in a matter of minutes.
Taking only minutes to prepare, the authentic Mexican flavors hit the spot when cooking and eating by the campfire. Del Real pre-cooked foods make cooking for your hungry campers a cinch and require only 30 minutes to bake to perfection
Once plans are set for camping, I get busy preparing the skillet(s) and freeze them for easy food packing. The frozen block-meals help in keeping other food(s) cold and can be kept safely in the cooler filled with ice, for up to two days before cooking.
Not going camping? Enjoy skillet-lasagnas any night of the year prepared in your backyard grill or home oven. My favorite part…the variety of skillet(s) are endless when cooking with Del Real Foods; just add fresh eggs to any skillet right before baking on the campfire and you have a delicious Mexican breakfast!
Bloggers enter today! Del Real Foods is looking for the best tasting recipes made with our product as the base ingredient. Sign up today for a chance to win. Multiple recipe categories give you more chances to win.
We’re looking for recipes in the following categories ‘Best Kid-Friendly’ and ‘Best Outdoor’. All recipes will be judged on the following three criteria: best tasting, creativity and convenience to prepare. To determine a winner in each category, finalist’s recipes will be prepared, tasted and voted on internally by the Del Real Foods family and executive team.
Only the ‘Top Voted Recipe’ will be chosen by fans. To ensure you get as many votes as possible, you will be required to share the voting page link on your social media channels to encourage your followers to vote for your recipe.
There will be one winner per category (Best Outdoor, Best Kid-Friendly and Top Voted), totaling three total winners. Individuals may vote for one recipe, per day and must have a Facebook account in order for the vote to validate.
As a reminder, the ‘Top Voted Recipe’ is only one of the three different categories, therefore there’s multiple chances to win. Last day to vote: June 5th, 2016 at 11:59 PM PST Hashtag: #BloggerRecipeChallenge2016
- Cooking Spray
- 1 24 ounce package Del Real Arroz Rice with Vegetables
- 1 24 ounce package Del Real Shredded Chicken
- 1 16-ounce container Del Real Fire Roasted Red Salsa
- 1 16-ounce container Del Real Fire Roasted Green Salsa
- 1 large package corn tortillas
- 4 ounces’ cream cheese
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 12-ounce package shredded Mexican style cheese
- 1 ½ -2 cups chicken stock
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, sliced
- ½ cup Mexican crumbly white cheese
- Preheat gas grill to 400 degrees F. (or cook over red hot campfire coals)
- In a large mixing bowl combine both salsas and 4 ounces of cream cheese. Using an immersion blender, blend well until the cheese is well incorporated and smooth.
- Prepare a cast iron skillet: lay two sheet of aluminum foil in a cross pattern into the cast iron skillet, pressing down into the bottom of the pan. Cut a large piece of parchment paper and lay over the foil, pressing down (parchment won’t stay in place until the chips are in the bottom).
- Spray both the parchment and foil with cooking spray and lay crumbled tortilla chips into the bottom of the pan. You should have a lot of excess foil and parchment hanging over the edge; this is good since we will be folding the foil over to make a package.
- Begin making the dish by layering corn tortillas over the crumbled chips, overlapping to ensure a good base/layer. Add ½ cup rice (Arroz) to the bottom layer, then about ¼ cup shredded cheese. Top this layer with about 1 cup creamy salsa.
- Top the rice and cheese layer with more corn tortillas to make the next layer.
- Add about ½ the bag of Del Real shredded chicken and top with more cheese and 1/4 cup creamy salsa.
- Once more, add corn tortillas to create the next layer.
- Add the remaining rice, chicken and its juices, and ¼ cup creamy salsa to this layer. Pour 1 ½ - 2 cups chicken broth over the entire surface of the dish. Broth will fill into the cracks and up to the sides of the skillet.
- Top the lasagna with a final layer of corn tortillas and remaining shredded cheese.
- Fold the foil and parchment over the ingredients to make a package/cover. If you have a cast iron lid, place lid on lasagna and bake in hot grill for 30 minutes.
- For best results: Preheat gas grill to 400 degrees F. Place covered dish on the main rack and lower the grill lid. DO NOT OPEN the grill for 30 minutes. If cooking over campfire coals: Ready the coals to red hot. Place a grate over the coals and cook the dish covered for 30 minutes. Remove lid to test for doneness. A Dutch oven is a great option for making this dish over a camp fire. Add hot coals to the top of the Dutch oven for even and faster cooking time.
- Garnish Mexican Lasagna with chopped tomatoes, chopped avocado, cilantro, a squeeze of lime and crumbled Mexican white cheese.
- Serve Mexican Lasagna with remaining creamy salsa and corn chips
- NOTES: This recipe is great when camping. It can be made several weeks ahead and frozen for easy storage and food packing.
- Once you’ve layered your lasagnas and get them all tucked into the foil package, gently remove the package from the skillet and place in a gallon size zip baggie. Seal the baggie and freeze on a flat surface. The lasagnas will hold their shape and can be placed back into the cast iron skillet for cooking over the campfire, or on a gas grill. Just be sure to allow the pre-made/frozen lasagnas to come to room temperature before cooking to ensure 30-minute cook time.
- Prepare three or four lasagnas using your favorite Del Real products for a variety of pre-made campground dinners. I make recipes with beans, pork carnitas and flour tortillas as well as, a vegetarian selection for the non-meat eaters.