Keeping with this months theme of SOUPS and STEWS, today I’m sharing my mothers recipe for Lima Bean and Bacon Stew. This delicious and satisfying meal is not only good for you, it’s super easy to make and it’s also one of my Fall Favorite Recipes!
Tender and buttery, lima beans are stewed to perfection with onions and cooked bacon. The combination is simple yet hearty and the perfect meal for a cool Fall evening.
- 2 14-ounce cans Lima beans
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 1 large onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook bacon until crisp, remove 1/2 of the cooked bacon and keep for garnish
- Chop onion and cook in bacon grease until translucent, add onions and bay leaf to pot and stir to combine
- Bring to a boil, cook for 2 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes to 2 hours
- Add additional water if stew becomes to thick.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Crumble bacon bites over soup and serve with buttered bread