Long family traditions of cooking sweets reserved just for the holidays, bring to my mind recipes that embody the warm and comforting flavors of ginger, and cinnamon spice.
Gingerbread cake with creamy lemon glaze is filled with a warmth of holiday flavors, enhanced by a tart lemon cream, its classic characteristics are vital to my Christmas dessert table.
I originally posted this recipe December 2012. It’s so delicious and perfect for Christmas, I’m reposting the recipe again. I have family arriving today for the holidays so I’m also baking a batch for our dessert tonight.
Tender and Fluffy
This recipe produces a tender, fluffy cake, paired perfectly with the creamy tart flavor of the lemon glaze; another great recipe to add to your arsenal of holiday favorites.
I hope to snap a few updated photos but only if my family doesn’t eat it all before I can take a few!
Merry Christmas to you and yours, ENJOY!
- For the Gingerbread Cake
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 large egg , beaten
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup very hot water
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/4 cup milk or cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (1 teaspoon lemon extract)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13'' pan with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together the sugar and butter until smooth and light.
- Add the egg and molasses and mix well. In a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients together: flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet mixture and stir to combine. Slowly pour in the hot water and stir until smooth (batter will be thin).
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Mix confectioners sugar with milk and lemon juice until smooth
- Serve warm, topped with Creamy Lemon Glaze