Meyer Lemon Habanero Pepper Jelly…Quite possibly the best recipe I’ve ever created!! Super spicy, and sweet with a crisp lemon finish; a simply exquisite jelly! Let me know how you like it!! Serve with creamy sheep and goat milk, La Tur cheese and crisp thin crackers.
Canning with Lemon Juice 101:
Even when canning high acid foods like Meyer lemons, it’s essential to use bottled lemon juice. The reason for this is that, bottled lemon (lime) juice has been uniformly acidified. Uniform acidity is crucial when canning in a water bath.
Canning vegetables and meats require pressure canning to ensure food safety. You’ll find that most of my canning recipes are processed in a water bath as opposed to pressure canning because I am a seasonal canner. For the most part, I preserve recipes that are made with high acid foods such as, jams, jellies, marmalade and salsa containing fruits naturally high in citric acid, as well as pickles, that utilize uniformly acidified vinegar for preservation.
I aim to bring you recipes that are not only tasty but safe for consumption, so I follow USDA guidelines to the letter. The use of uniformly acidified lemon juice is also recommended by the National Center for Home Preservation.
Ensuring safe canned foods Growth of the bacterium Clostridium botulinum in canned food may cause botulism—a deadly form of food poisoning. These bacteria exist either as spores or as vegetative cells. The spores, which are comparable to plant seeds, can survive harmlessly in soil and water for many years. When ideal conditions exist for growth, the spores produce vegetative cells which multiply rapidly and may produce a deadly toxin within 3 to 4 days of growth in an environment consisting of: • a moist, low-acid food • a temperature between 40° and 120°F • less than 2 percent oxygen. Botulinum spores are on most fresh food surfaces. Because they grow only in the absence of air, they are harmless on fresh foods. Most bacteria, yeasts, and molds are difficult to remove from food surfaces. Washing fresh food reduces their numbers only slightly. Peeling root crops, underground stem crops, and tomatoes reduces their numbers greatly. Blanching also helps, but the vital controls are the method of canning and making sure the recommended research-based process times, found in these guides, are used. The processing times in these guides ensure destruction of the largest expected number of heat-resistant microorganisms in home-canned foods. Properly sterilized canned food will be free of spoilage if lids seal and jars are stored below 95°F. Storing jars at 50° to 70°F enhances retention of quality. SOURCE: USDA.
- 2 cups fresh Meyer lemon juice
- 1 cup bottled lemon juice
- 2 cups water
- 4 packages liquid pectin
- 7 cups sugar
- 3 large habanero peppers
- 10-12 whole Thai chilies
- Wash lemons, habanero and Thai peppers, pat dry
- Juice lemons and strain through a fine sieve to remove pips
- Refrigerate peels in a large plastic zip bag to make Meyer Lemon Marmalade and reserve any extra lemon juice for later use. (http://wp.me/p2MUuI-1FS)
- In a large heavy bottom stock pot heat 2 cups fresh lemon juice, water, and sugar over medium high heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Cut habanero peppers in half and add to hot liquid
- Bring liquid to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook for 30 minutes
- Remove habanero peppers and discard
- Add 1 cup bottled lemon juice and stir, bring to a boil, add 4 packages liquid pectin, stir and bring back to a boil
- Boil for 2 minutes, take a gel test by placing a small amount of jelly into a iced tablespoon
- If jelly does not set boil for additional 2 minutes and test again
- Pour hot jelly into sterilized jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace
- add 1-2 whole Thai chilies in each jar. Wipe rims with clean towel and cover with lids and rims
- Process in a hot water bath for 15 minutes
- Remove jars from water bath and rest on clean towels until cool enough to handle, store in a cool dry place
- Spead over cream cheese and eat with crackers or crusty bread
Chalk Board canning jar labels source: handcraftyourlife
Canning Jar Labels: Etsy Shop CanningCrafts