Flash back to the early 1960’s, Albuquerque, New Mexico. The creamy tart goodness of pimento cheese spread; a perfect mixture of cream cheese and pimento aka, roasted red peppers, or those little red thingies tucked inside green olives!
Such happy food memories come from stalks of celery crammed full of the pale orange concoction. Who knew how simple it would be to please my pre-adolescent pallet?
Recreating this recipe met the mark with so much flavor, it almost redefined those early years of snack time glory!
- 1/4 pound block yellow cheese such as sharp cheddar, colby jack or your favorite variety
- 2 heaping tablespoons Philadelphia chive flavored cream cheese spread
- 1/2-3/4 cups mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon tabasco sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red pepper (sold whole in bulk olive section of grocery)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Shred or cube cheese
- Place first 5 ingredients in a food processor, pulse until well combined, open processor several time scraping down sides
- Test consistency, additional mayonnaise may be added to make mixture creamier
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Remove cheese mixture to a mixing bowl if using a small food processor
- Add chopped roasted red pepper and stir to combine
- Use immediately for best results, refrigerate remaining cheese in a airtight container for up to three days. Bring to room temperature before spreading
- Spread between two pieces of white bread for traditional Pimento Cheese Sandwiches
- Spread thin layer of cheese spread over slices of salami, roll into straws
- Serve in celery or as a dip for vegetables
- Spread over crackers
This post is linked to A Little Bird Told Me Link Party #64