If you love the dreaminess of a classic Waldorf Salad, you’re going to die for my remixed version, Waldorf Risotto!
The warm apple infused risotto is the perfect balance to the crispy, tart salad. I finished the dish with a spicy crunch of California candied, cayenne, walnuts. The flavor combination is out of this world and is my submission for this years recipe challenge.
California Walnuts presents the Waldorf Salad Refresh, Recipe Contest. Wish me luck! #WaldorfSaladRefresh
- 4 red crisp apples
- 4 large celery stalks
- 1 cup mayonnaise, divided
- 1 tablespoon plus, 2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoon lemon juice, divided
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 4 cups apple cider
- 1-2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup California walnuts
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Slice apples across lengthwise into 1/4 inch rounds, thinly slice each round into match stick lengths, toss in a large mixing bowl with 1 teaspoon lemon juice.
- Reserve 1 cup match stick apples, set aside
- Thinly slice 3 celery stalks, combine slices with apples
- Add 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon sugar to cut apples and celery and toss, cover and refrigerate until ready to use
- Diced the reserved match stick apples, you should have about 4 tablespoons
- Dice 1 stalk celery, combine diced apples and celery with a pinch of salt and 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- In a medium saucepan, over medium high heat, melt 1 teaspoon butter
- Saute diced celery and apples until Al dente, (tender but not soft), remove from pan and set aside
- Heat 4 cups apple cider in a saucepan, keep warm
- Add walnuts to non-stick pan, turn heat to medium, sprinkle 1 tablespoon sugar over nuts, allow sugar to melt, When sugar is almost melted or begins to caramelize, stir or toss walnuts to coat evenly. Pour candied walnuts out onto a piece of waxed paper and sprinkle with cayenne pepper, cool and rough chop
- Add 1 teaspoon butter and 1/4 teaspoon olive oil to the same pan the apples were cooked in.
- Stir in 1 cup arborio rice, saute for 3-5 minutes stirring occasionally to coat rice kernels
- Begin making risotto by adding 1 cup of apple juice at a time to sauteed rice, allow liquid to absorb, and continue adding liquid 1 cup at a time, until all 4 cups are incorporated, this will take about 25 minutes. Risotto should be tender but not mushy, more liquid can be added if the rice is still tough, add 1 cup water until absorbed and test again until desired consistency.
- Turn heat off.
- Add cooked apples and celery and 1 teaspoon butter to risotto mixture, stir to combine. Finally, add 1/2 cup mayonnaise. Season with additional lemon juice, and salt to taste
- Ladle 1/2 cup risotto portion onto plate, top risotto with prepared Waldorf salad, and sprinkle with candied cayenne walnuts
For a list of all the contest entries, visit Waldorf Salad Refresh Recipe Challenge on PINTEREST