Aussie Grass-Fed Beef and Lamb Patty Melt with Mushroom and Bacon Gravy
- 15 ounces’ True Aussie Ground beef
- 3 ounces True Aussie Ground Lamb
- 2 pounds Mixed Mushrooms (baby portabella, white button) divided
- 1 1/2 cups Heavy cream
- 22 slices Bacon, (about 24 ounces) 16 slices cooked whole, 6 cooked and chopped, all bacon fat reserved
- 2 1/2 teaspoons flour
- 2 sticks Challenge butter, 1 cup
- Marbled Jewish Rye Bread
- 16 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 large Sweet Onions
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary
- water to the thin gravy if necessary
- Rosemary seasoned sea salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Long rosemary sprigs for garnish
- Mixed mushroom for garnish
- Cook 8 strips thin cut bacon till crisp. Drain on a paper towel and set aside. Remove bacon fat to a small bowl.
- Chop and cook remaining 6 slices of bacon. Leave 1 tablespoon bacon drippings in pan, reserve the rest. Drain on a paper towel and set aside. Reserve remaining bacon fat.
- Slice large sweet onions thinly, sauté in 1 tablespoon bacon drippings and 1 tablespoon Challenge Butter until caramelized. About 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside
- Chop 1 bunch large green onions (both green and white parts) makes about 2 cups. Set aside
Sliced Mushroom Blend:
- Slice 2 ½-pounds mushrooms thinly. Heat a large sauce pan over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoon bacon drippings and 2 tablespoon Challenge Butter, 1 cup of green onions, 2 teaspoons fresh chopped rosemary, and sliced mushrooms. Cook until crisp and caramelized, (About 5 minutes)
- Season with a pinch salt and pepper. Set aside to cool.
- Once mushroom are slightly cooled chop mushrooms in the Kitchen Aid 3.5 Cup One-Touch 2 speed chopper. Set aside half the mixture for blended burgers and half for the for mushroom gravy.
- In a large bowl combine 15 ounces True Aussie Ground Beef, 3 ounces True Aussie Ground Lamb, 1 cup chopped green onion, 2 cups cooled, chopped mushroom blend.
- Season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper. With your hands or a large spoon, combine the mixture just till blended. Don’t overwork the meat.
- Divide blended burger mixture equally into 4 balls. Place the balls on a parchment line baking sheet and shape into 4, 1/4-inch rectangle patties.
- In a large sauté or grill pan, melt 1 tablespoon Challenge Butter and cook burgers for 3-4 minutes per side or until just cooked through. Transfer to a plate. Reserve drippings
- Add 1 tablespoon bacon drippings, 2 tablespoon Challenge Butter to a large sauce pan. Heat over medium high. Once bacon drippings and butter are melted add 2 ½ teaspoons flour. Cook for 1-2 minutes stirring constantly.
- Whisk in 1 cups heavy cream. Continue whisking until all the flour mix is incorporated and there are no lumps. Add remaining ½ cup cream and blend well.
- Reduce heat to low. Add 1 tablespoon Challenge Butter, remaining Mushroom Blend, reserved burger drippings, and chopped bacon. Stir to combine. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and fresh cracked pepper. Keep warm
Making the Patty Melt:
- Butter 8 slices Marbled Jewish Rye bread with Challenge butter. Using a large sauté or grill pan turn heat to medium and place 4 slices bread, butter side down in the pan
- Add 2 slices Swiss cheese to each piece of bread, lay two slices bacon on top of 2 of 2 cheese breads and a cooked burger patty on top of 2 of the pieces of bread.
- Top both burgers with caramelized onions, 2 more slices bacon for each burger, and top with 1-2 tablespoon mushroom gravy.
- Cover the burger with second slice of bread and cook for 2-3 minutes. Carefully, flip patty melt over and continue cooking until cheese is melted, about 3 more minutes or until heated through.
- Skewer burgers with rosemary sprigs and serve with additional mushroom-bacon gravy. ENJOY!
Keywords: Aussie Grass-Fed Beef and Lamb Patty Melt with Mushroom and Bacon Gravy