- 2 large green tomatoes, sliced thinly
- 1 cup chopped red tomato
- 1 cup fine cornmeal
- 1/2 pound okra, rinsed, towel-dried, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped white onion
- 1 cups of vegetable oil, plus 2 tablespoons
salt and pepper to taste
- Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 cup vegetable oil. Heat until oil is very hot but not smoking
- Slice green tomatoes thin and dust each side with cornmeal and fry in hot oil till crisp. Continue the same method for the remaining tomatoes. Add more oil if necessary
- Drain cooked green tomatoes on paper-lined plate and season with salt and pepper
- Heat a second large skillet over medium-high. Add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil and a single layer of chopped okra. Cook okra until nicely browned turning several times. Remove okra from pan. Add 1 tablespoon oil to the same skillet and saute chopped onion till translucent. Add red tomatoes and cook the mixture until tomatoes are soft. About 3 minutes
- Return okra to the pan and toss to combine. Cook mixture for an additional 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately with fried green tomatoes.
Cooking the okra separately over high heat reduces the sliminess and enhances the okra’s sweetness from caramelization
Keywords: Fried, Green Tomatoes, Okra,