Tonnino Tuna Blogger Recipe Challenge - Entrée/Main Course Category
- 2 6.7-ounce jars Tonnino Garlic Tuna Filets, drained, divided
- 1 12-ounce package wide egg noodles, cooked and drained
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces’ room temperature cream cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups leeks, sliced thinly, white and tender green parts only
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon season salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil for frying
- 1 8-ounce package fresh mozzarella, cut into chunks
- Pre Heat oven to 350 F.
- Cook wide egg noodles to manufacturer’s instructions. Once the noodles are tender and drained, return them to the boiling pot. Add 2 tablespoons butter and stir hot noodles to coat and keep the noodles from sticking.
- Drain oil from Tonnino Garlic Tuna Filets. Discard oil.
- Flake tuna into large pieces. Divide tuna in half.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine cream cheese, cream, milk, garlic salt, celery salt, onion powder, white pepper, half the Tonnino Garlic Tuna, and cheddar cheese. Blend with a spatula or hand mixer to combine.
- Add the mixture to the noodles and stir until the noodles are coated and the mixer is well dispersed. If the noodles seem dry, add 1/4 cup milk
- Lightly butter a 12 1/4" x 8 3/4" x 2" deep casserole dish. Pour noodle mixture into dish.
- Cut the mozzarella into large chunks. Dot the top of the noodle mixture with flaked tuna and mozzarella cheese.
- Cover the casserole with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- While to casserole is baking: Wash leeks very well in cold water, removing sand and debris. Slice leeks very thinly up to the tender green area of the leeks. Dark green leek leaves are very tough.
- Pour 1/2 cup flour into a shallow dish and stir in season salt. Add sliced leeks and toss them in the flour mixture, coating all sides.
- Heat oil in a medium sauce pan 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Shake off any excess flour and fry leeks in hot oil until lightly browned, about 2-3 minutes. Drain on a paper towel
- Right before serving the casserole, top with fried leeks.
The leeks cook very quickly. Be sure to watch them closely and stir often
By Rebecka Evans
Keywords: Not Yo Momma's Tuna Noodle Casserole