Pendleton, Ore. (March 3, 2016)- Barhyte Specialty Foods is excited to announce the creation of “Team Saucy Mama”, which will be competing at the 2016 World Food Championships (WFC) in November in Orange Beach, Alabama. The team is made up of some of the most extraordinary home cooks in the US, and each one is striving to compete in the Final Table at WFC, where one person is crowned World Food Champion and receives a $100,000 grand prize.
Saucy Mama has offered three competitor spots on the team. Two of these spots are already claimed, as last year’s WFC Saucy Mama competitors earned their way to the Top 10 round and were prequalified to compete again this year.
Only one spot remains on Team Saucy Mama with 25 of the Sauciest home-cooks are vying for coveted LAST SPOT!
Thank you TEAM SAUCY MAMA for choosing me I as one of the 25 to compete for the LAST SPOT!!!
So what does the Saucy Mama Recipe Contest champion win?
- A World Food Championship Golden Ticket: WFC registration and entry fees paid for 2016 WFC
- $1000 Travel Stipend: for WFC expenses (Nov. 8-15)
- $200 Spending Cash: to have FUN in Orange Beach Alabama
Most importantly…a First Place win with Team Saucy Mama offers home-cooks like myself, the ability to vie for cash prize(s) to offset the cost associated with Food Sport. Thank goodness for Sponsors that offer WFC Preferred Qualifier Contests!!
In addition to competing for a place on Team Saucy Mama, Team Just A Pinch has invited me to return to represent them at the 2016 Bacon World Food Championships, in Orange Beach, AL. They have offered to pay my entry fees as a result of my 4th place win in last years competition ($300.00). Thank you Just A Pinch!! Since I’m competing in the Bacon Category again this November, you’ll notice a BACON recipe theme throughout all of my WFC Contest recipe submissions.
My first recipe submission for the coveted LAST SPOT on Team Saucy Mama…
Polish Zapiekanka. Category BACON
A zapiekanka (Polish pronunciation: [zapʲɛˈkaŋka]; plural: zapiekanki, pronounced [zapʲɛˈkaŋkʲi]) is an open-face sandwich made of half of a baguette or other long roll of bread, topped with sautéed white mushrooms, cheese and sometimes other ingredients, and toasted until the cheese melts. Served hot with ketchup, it is a popular street food in Poland. With its origin dating back to the 1970s, the zapiekanka is associated with the austere times of Poland’s Communist regime, but it has enjoyed renewed demand in the 21st century, which has also brought a wider range of varieties. SOURCE: From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This SUPER-SAUCY sandwich showcases two delicious Saucy Mama products and a heap of crispy smoked BACON! My family loved testing this meal and it’s become a regular on our weekly family menu. The versatility of the dish is what makes it so appealing for family dinners, and parties. Zapiekanka is like pizza in that, the toppings can be adjusted to fit your mood. All veggie Zapiekanka, or all meat style…it’s entirely up to you.
The Spicy Ketchup made with Saucy Mama’s ALL NATURAL Cracked Pepper Marinade is fiery and sweet; the cracked black pepper mixed with sweet ketchup and mayonnaise makes the sandwich sing in your mouth! The mushrooms get the “Saucy Mama treatment” too, with a big helping of the Champagne Honey Mustard (my new favorite SM mustard to date).
This delicious and historical Polish street food sandwich, is elevated to restaurant quality meal with the addition of Saucy Mama’s All Natural Mustard’s and Marinades!!
- ½ pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 small French baguettes, cut in half lengthwise
- 4-6 cups baby Portobello mushrooms, sliced (substitute with any mushroom)
- 1 medium shallot, coarsely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease
- 1/4-1/2 cup hot water
- 1/4-1/2 cup wine, white or red
- 2 tablespoons Saucy Mama Champagne Honey Mustard
- 2 teaspoons cream or milk
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 8 slices or 2 cups grated gouda or Dutch Edam cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Saucy Mama Cracked Pepper Marinade
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Heat a cast iron skillet to medium high
- cooked bacon until crisp, remove bacon from pan and crumble.
- Set bacon aside until ready to make sandwich
- Remove all but 2 tablespoons bacon grease from pan
- Add chopped shallots/onions, to hot bacon grease and cook till translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add chopped mushrooms, reducing the heat to medium-low as this process will extract the water content in the mushrooms but not dry them out.
- Sauté until mushrooms start feeling tender and drastically decrease in size, about 20 minutes. If mushrooms appear dry, add some of the hot water and continue to sauté.
- Once the mushrooms have softened add all the spices and herbs, and continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes. the chili is optional if you prefer some heat. after the spices have been well absorbed, add the wine, Saucy Mama Champagne Honey Mustard, water and cook for an additional 5 minutes, remembering to add extra hot water if they look dry to create a slight sauce texture.
- After the liquid is well absorbed and the mushrooms are fragrant. the mixture should be thick yet still wet. Thicken the sauce by making a paste from flour, cold water, and cream; gradually stir into the mushroom mixture. Cook this mixture for an additional 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400f degrees
- On each half baguette pile several spoonsful of the cooked mushrooms, pressing the mixture down with the spoon.
- Place the prepared baguettes on a baking dish and top with cheese and crumbled bacon.
- This recipe is just a versatile as pizza! Try adding your favorite ingredients to make delicious new combinations of Zapiekanka.