Ready for an easy holiday meal?
My first submission for the FRICK'S Blogger Recipe Challenge is your answer!
ABOUT THE CHALLENGE
The “Frick’s Blogger Recipe Challenge” will only be open to the first 30 eligible bloggers who sign-up. There are three categories for the challenge; Appetizers, Center of the Plate and On the Grill. Bloggers are encouraged to participate in all three categories. One winner will be selected from each category and be awarded $500.00. The winning recipes from each category will then compete to see who becomes the $1,000.00 grand prize winner of the “Frick’s Blogger Recipe Challenge.”
My first entry for the Blogger Recipe Challenge is Grilled Asian BBQ Bone-In Ham with Ham Fried Rice, qualifying for the On The Grill Category. Made with an Asian BBQ sauce and served with easy ten minute Ham Fried Rice, the recipe can be on your table in less than 45 minutes.
In return for submitting a few contest recipes in the FRICK'S Blogger Recipe Challenge, Frick’s® Quality Meats sent me three of their smoked ham products: Bone-in Half Ham, Gourmet Sliced Ham, and Shingled (sliced) Ham. Frick’s Quality Meat products also include Sliced Applewood Quarter Ham and Turkey Drums.
Grilled Asian BBQ Bone-In Ham with Ham Fried Rice
- 1 Frick’s Butt Portion Bone-In Half Ham
- 1 9.45 ounce jar hoisin sauce
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- pinch chili flakes
- 2 teaspoon ground pepper
For the Ham Fried Rice:
- 2 cups chopped ham 1 thick slice cut from ham before cooking
- 4 cups “day old” cooked rice I use the precooked version found in the rice isle at the grocery for easy prep
- 2 tablespoons scallions chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil divided
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup chopped scallions white and green parts
- ½ cup sliced carrots
- ½ cup frozen baby peas
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- pinch red pepper flakes
- ⅛ teaspoon ginger
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat grill to medium (350-400 degrees)
- Combine hoisin, ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, soy sauce, and chili flakes in a medium saucepan and heat till mixture begins to boil. Add the pepper and stir to combine, reduce heat, and keep warm.
- Place the unwrapped ham in an aluminum foil-lined disposable foil roasting pan
- Ladle or brush ¾ cups Asian BBQ sauce all over the ham and place ham cut side down. Tent the foil over the ham and cook for 40 minutes on the grill. Keep an eye on the grill temperature to maintain 350-400.
- For the Ham Fried Rice
- Heat a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and 1 teaspoon sesame oil to the hot pan.
- Sauté ¼ cup chopped onions and carrots for 3 minutes or until onions are translucent. Remove vegetables from pan to a small bowl
- Add 1 teaspoon vegetable oil to the pan and cook chopped ham until hot (about 3 minutes) stirring to heat through
- Remove cooked ham to the same bowl as onions and carrots
- Add 1 teaspoon oil to the wok. Cook 2 large eggs until yolks are just hard. Remove from pan and chop
- Add brown sugar, sesame oil, soy sauce, and ⅛ teaspoon ginger to the hot wok. Stir to combine, add pinch chili flakes, and cook till bubbling
- Return meat and vegetables to the pan. Add rice, and too to combine
- Add peas and fried egg, stir to combine. Heat for 3 minutes and serve with chopped scallions, sliced grilled ham, and more Asian BBQ Sauce
You can order FRICK'S Quality Meats online at...
Leave a Reply