Comfort Food, Fires, and Hurricanes
One of my favorite comfort foods is Lima Bean and Ham Stew served with Sweet Cornbread Cake.
Today was the perfect day to make this comforting recipe as 16 inches of rain fell from Tropical Storm Beta! More rain is forecast for tonight as the storm finally reaches Houston.
The Best Medicine
I'm trying my best not to lose my mind with worry as I watch parts of our Nation consumed by fire and others inundated by hurricanes and tropical storms.
I've decided that the best medicine for times like these is a lot of prayer and comfort food.
Lima Bean & Ham Stew
- 1 16 ounces package dried lima beans
- 2 smoked ham bones smoked knuckle, shank, or hock with some meat
- 8 cups water or chicken stock or more as needed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 stalks celery diced
- 1 onion diced
- ½ pound diced cooked ham
- 4 carrots peeled and sliced
- 2 bay leaf
- 1 pork flavored bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley chopped. More for garnish
- Place beans in a large pot, cover with 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and cover, and let stand for 1 to 2 hours. Drain and rinse. Transfer beans to another container.
- Heat oil in the large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add celery and onion and cook until translucent. Add ham bones, diced ham meat, beans, bouillon cube, and bay leaf. Cover with water or chicken stock. Reduce heat and simmer. Add additional water if needed until the stew is thickened, about 90 minutes.
- Stir in cut carrots, salt, pepper, and parsley into the stew. Let simmer until the carrots are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Garnish with more parsley and serve with Sweet Cornbread Cake
Sweet Cornbread Cake
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup Cake flour if not available, use all-purpose
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ⅓ cups white sugar
- 2 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons powdered buttermilk optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 eggs beaten
- 2 ½ cups whole milk
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F. and grease a 9x13 inch baking dish with non-stick spray
- In a large bowl combine cornmeal, flours, sugar, baking powder, powdered buttermilk, and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients and stir till just combined
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until the cake browns and begins to show cracks
- Cool slightly before slicing