Recipe #6 Manuela's Classic Budapest Roll
Final Recipe #6:
Today I'm announcing the final recipe in the Are You a Master Baker or Disaster Baker? Contest and Giveaway bake-along series. When I started this baking journey twelve weeks ago I was a self-professed disaster baker, I never imagined I would end up at the finale with a true "passion" for baking! I've found a new confidence as a baker after baking all six of Manuela's delicious recipes. The fear and trepidation that once accompanied the thought of baking anything other than cookies or a pie seems to have gone for good. Passion for Baking, Manuela Kjeilen's step-by-step directions has been the perfect instructor for this novice baker and as Manuela would say, "practice, practice, practice."
I hope that you're all feeling the same sense of accomplishment after baking along in the challenge? Please take a moment to share a a quick note in the comment section below of how this baking journey has effected your skills, life and ...
What We've Been Up Too:
If you’re here for the first time and would like check out what we’ve been up to, click the links to view Recipe #1 Mocca Meringues Ice Cream Cake, Recipe #2 Norwegian Cream Cake, Recipe #3 Manuela’s Best Vanilla Cupcakes, Recipe #4 Manuela’s White Macarons with Milk Chocolate Fudge, and Recipe #5 Manuela’s Norwegian Vanilla Buns.
The requirements for this weeks challenge are the same as the previous five weeks and are written below:
Bake the next recipe in the challenge series then take a photo of your “Master or Disaster” piece. The Woobox Submission Form is listed at the end of this post, and it’s also where you will share a photo of your creation. The link will be available on all my social media sites for easy access to post your photos for the entire duration of the contest.
*NOTE* Contest and Giveaway
In order to be eligible to win the $700.00 Ankarsrum Original Mixer you must enter a photo for ALL 6 recipes in the challenge. To win the Baking Book: Love Manuela, you are required to enter 3 recipe photos.
FOR THE OFFICIAL RULES CLICK HERE
This stunning creation is the work of Norwegian born award-winning blogger and “Master Home Baker” – Manuela Kjeilen.
( You can read more about Manuela and the Contests Official Rules HERE )
Attached to each of the six recipes sent to me by Manuela were notes written by her as they related to one of the recipes. Below is what Manuela said about Recipe #6
Finally, I would love for your followers to make a typical Norwegian cake, you see them in all the bakeries in Sweden; a classic Budapest roll.
Manuela, Thank you for choosing this recipe last in the series, I've always wanted to conquer making a rolled cake. Now I can add Classic Budapest Roll to my list of accomplishments as a baker. I hope you find this an acceptable rendition of your recipe.
Now that you’ve seen the STUNNING photo of Recipe #6 Manuela's Classic Budapest Roll above, say hello to my rendition.
Some Thoughts on My Final Bake
I went into this bake with far less trepidation as previous bakes. I was calm for the first time baking an unfamiliar recipe. It doesn't hurt that Manuela gives such easy to follow instructions for her recipes. You can find her step by step instructions for this recipe HERE.
Thinking about making a rolled cake was a little overwhelming but once I started rolling out the cake it was much easier that I imagined. The cake is so deliciously chewy and flavorful and is my favorite in the entire series. The recipe calls for ground hazelnuts or almond flour, I opted to use almond flour since I'm not a fan of hazelnuts. If you have nut allergies, you can substitute your favorite crushed cookies; Lorna Dunes (shortbread cookies) work very well.
What I Did Wrong:
- The meringue crust is chewy and delicious but I over baked it per usual so my meringue is not the beautiful pale color like Manuela's cake pictured above. I was really hoping to get that light and airy look that Manuela so expertly achieves however, I will have the opportunity to fix that as I will be making this cake again and again, it's that good!
- I got carried away with the dark chocolate drizzle so the top of my cake looks like a wild mess. I also added a lot more mandarine orange segments than the recipe calls for because I love them but they are trying to burst out from the sides of my roll. Despite the addition of the emerging orange segments the cake rolled up perfectly.
- My biggest technical error was piping the meringue too close together and too close to the edges of the baking sheet. Unfortunately, the cake became one giant sheet instead of the beautifully pipped lines of Manuela's cake. I had to use a small knife to free the sticky edges from the baking sheet. To keep that from happening, I would suggest leaving about 2 inches free from meringue around the entire sheet to make a clean line. Take a look at Manuela's YouTube video HERE to see what I'm suggesting. Not a disaster per se, I was able to accomplish the rolled effect without breaking the cake in half! I would call this a baking success.
Manuela’s Classic Budapest Roll Notes
You will need the following items in order to successfully bake this recipe:
- Stand Mixer with whisk attachment (If you don’t own a stand mixer you can use an electric hand mixer )
- One baking sheet lined with parchment and 1 extra sheet of parchment to roll the cake
- 1 large round nozzle baking tip
- 1 large pastry bag
- The recipe conversions from European Measurements are Manuela’s US converted recipes or were calculated with the iPhone APP “Kitchen Pro”
This is your last chance to bake your “Master or Disaster” piece in this challenge! Remember you must post a photo of your completed dish to the WooBox link (listed below) by, September 15, 2018 Midnight CST
Be sure to add a photo of your rendition to the WOOBOX entry form below. Thank you for baking along...Happy Baking!
June 18, 2018 Initial Rules and Information Post
June 24, 2018 First Recipe in the series Announced (Recipe #1)
July 1, 2018 First Recipe Due Midnight CST
July 8, 2018 Second Recipe in the series Announced (Recipe #2)
July 15, 2018 Second Recipe Due Midnight CST
July 22, 2018 Third Recipe in the series Announced (Recipe #3)
August 1, 2018 Third Recipe Due Midnight CST
August 5, 2018 Fourth Recipe in the series Announced (Recipe #4)
August 15, 2018 Fourth Recipe Due Midnight CST
August 19, 2018 Fifth Recipe in series Announced (Recipe #5)
September 1, 2018 Fifth Recipe Due Midnight CST
September 9, 2018 Sixth Recipe in series Announced (Recipe #6)
September 15, 2018 Sixth Recipe Due Midnight CST
WINNER(s) ANNOUNCED: October 1-5 stay tuned...
Be sure to Follow Ankarsrum Original USA and Manuela Kjeilen for her newest recipes at passionforbaking.com.
THANK YOU for baking along!
Leave a Reply