Baking meatballs is super easy, creates less mess than pan frying, and does not compromise the deep, beefy flavor of caramelization from pan frying. In fact, there is no notable difference between the two methods.
Another key to making a tender and flavorful meatball, is to use a combination of two or more proteins such as, ground beef, veal, chicken and or pork.
This recipe features ground round and spicy Italian sausage. The sausage gave the meatballs a tangy punch, perfect for my meatball sandwiches.
Baked Meatballs for the best ever Meatball Sandwiches
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ pound Sweet Italian Sausage, casings removed
- ⅓ cup Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ cup Italian bread crumbs
- ¾ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 cups store bought or homemade marinara sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 Bolio or Hoagi rolls
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 8-10 ounces grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Place the beef, sausage, parsley, garlic, bread crumbs, egg, parmesan cheese, salt & pepper in a large bowl. Use your hands to combine the meatball ingredients until fully combined, be careful to not overwork the mixture. Once all ingredients are combined, roll into 24 meatballs, about 2 tablespoons each.Bake meatballs in a preheated 350F. oven for 15 minutes. Turn once during cooking time. Remove from oven
- Add marinara and the baked meatballs to a large saucepan and bring to a low simmer. Cover with a lid and cook for 10 minutes. Uncover and cook for another 10 minutes. While the meatballs are cooking, brush the inside of hoagie rolls with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic powder.
- Preheat broiler. In a 9X13 baking dish arrange hoagie rolls and add 4 meatballs to each roll. Top each meatball sub with mozzarella. Set baking dish under the broiler and allow to cook until cheese is just melted.
The flavors of the red sauce permeate the meat, giving birth to the yummiest meatballs ever!!