I remember a time when I was terrified to make caramel sauce but once I tried it I was hooked! It’s not just the flavor that will make you want to make this all the time, it's super easy to make.
I've added Philadelphia Cream Cheese to my caramel sauce to give it an extra layer of creaminess. The flavor and texture are incredible.
Caramel Sauce Recipe with Philadelphia Cream Cheese
- 1 cup granulated sugar6 Tablespoons butter3 ounces Philadelphia Brand Cream Cheese¼ cup half and half or heavy cream
- Before you begin, make sure to have all caramel ingredients ready and next to you by the stovetop. Caramel isn’t very forgiving so be prepared to stand by the saucepan for about 5-6 minutes without distraction.
- Using an electric mixer, blend 3 ounces room temperature cream cheese in a medium mixing bowl until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Add ¼ cup half and half or heavy cream and blend for additional 2 minutes. Combined the ingredients will be approximately 1 cup in volume.
- Pour ½ cup of mixture into a small cup or bowl as set next to stove, reserve remaining cream to make Reposado Cinnamon Crema
- For best results use a 5 quart heavy bottom sauce pan. Heat 1 cup sugar on medium high heat in the sauce pan. Begin whisking the sugar as it begins to melt.
- Sugar will start to resemble large crystals, keep whisking until the sugar is completely melted, when the sugar begins to boil do NOT stir.
- Watch closely, when the sugar turns a deep amber color add butter and whisk until butter is melted.
- Remove the pan from the burner once butter is melted, slowly add the cream mixture and continue to whisk until cream is totally incorporated.
Store the caramel sauce in a container with a tight fitting lid and refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Chilled caramel can be reheated on stove top or microwave oven before serving.
This recipe is being shared with “Fall Into PHILLY Recipe Challenge” at Real Women of Philadelphia. The challenge; to create a recipe combining PHILLY cream cheese with one of these seasonal ingredients! Apple, Pumpkin, Cinnamon, My ingredient was caramel!!