My Fried Green Tomato Addiction
My fried green tomato addiction is no secret as you search through my recipe archives. I love them so much that I've posted several different recipes to my blog over the years.
I'm blessed to live in the South where green tomatoes are available at the local grocer almost year-round, so my addiction is well feed.
Late Summer Harvest
For those of you that live in cooler regions of the country, you have just a few weeks left to harvest those late summer green tomatoes from your garden or pick some up at the local farmers' market.
For more fried green tomato recipes just type fried green tomatoes into the SEARCH bar to see at least five different versions.
This version is one of my favorites. The combination of the two tomato flavors is incredibly delicious married with the okra and sauteed onions.
The recipe is versatile enough to serve for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Eat them as is or add a couple of poached eggs for breakfast, a few slices of fried spam for lunch, and grilled steak or chicken at dinner.
Fried green tomatoes with sautéed okra and fresh red tomatoes make my belly happy.
Six Ingredient Recipe
The recipe is super easy to make and utilizes just six ingredients
Fried Green Tomatoes with Okra and Red Tomato
- 2 large green tomatoes sliced thinly
- 1 cup chopped red tomato
- 1 cup fine cornmeal
- ½ pound okra rinsed, towel-dried, cut into ½ inch pieces
- ¼ cup chopped white onion
- 1 cups of vegetable oil plus 2 tablespoons
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 cup vegetable oil. Heat until oil is very hot but not smoking
- Slice green tomatoes thin and dust each side with cornmeal and fry in hot oil till crisp. Continue the same method for the remaining tomatoes. Add more oil if necessary
- Drain cooked green tomatoes on paper-lined plate and season with salt and pepper
- Heat a second large skillet over medium-high. Add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil and a single layer of chopped okra. Cook okra until nicely browned turning several times. Remove okra from pan. Add 1 tablespoon oil to the same skillet and saute chopped onion till translucent. Add red tomatoes and cook the mixture until tomatoes are soft. About 3 minutes
- Return okra to the pan and toss to combine. Cook mixture for an additional 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately with fried green tomatoes.
Leave a Reply