Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup with Semolina Egg Noodles; there's no better way to warm the frost from your fingers, and purge the cold from your bones! A simple chicken broth, laced with white meat chicken and tender semolina egg noodles, this easy homemade soup recipe is a winter, winner!
The perfect dinner meal for Colorado's fourth installment of winter weather and it's not even November yet. The cold has come early to our state and promises to bring a winter wonderland before we know it. This nasty weather calls for plenty of comfort food; roasts, stews, and soups, like my homemade chicken noodle soup.
Dreary, wet and icy, the past two days have taken their toll, impugning my acrid mood. To make matters worse, the early frost, fraught disaster on our visit to the Pumpkin Patch. We arrived in high spirits, hopeful to snap a few cute photos with my sweet granddaughters; the temperature was a perfect 65 degrees, bright and sunny, not a cloud in the sky. How could anything dispel our happy mood? Simply done, our mood was soured as we walked through a wasteland of frozen pumpkins. Rows and rows of squishy, mushy, misshapen orange skinned fruit! What a let down to see the dry ground littered with hundreds of rotting pumpkins. Thankfully, there was no nasty smell to go with the rotting mess, and there were still some leaves on the trees to set the stage for a few family photos!
Even my poor puppies felt the brunt of our chilly weather. Both took a horrible tumble-down our back stairs yesterday, slipping on black ice that had settled soundly there overnight; using the basement door ever since, afraid to endure another speedy slide to the potty place. Thankfully, there were not harmed, just shaken.
My dire need to comfort my mood lead me to a hot bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup with homemade egg noodles.
I'm slowly on the path to mental wellness after supping a few bowls of the hot and satisfying stuff.
Chicken Noodle Soup with Homemade Egg Noodles
For the Soup
- 1 pound chicken breast cubed
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3-4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For the Noodles
- 1 ½ cups semolina flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the Soup
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in medium stockpot over medium heat, saute onions, celery and carrot for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Stir in cubed chicken, cook for additional 5 minutes
- Add chicken stock, cover and cook for 1 hour
- Remove cover, add additional water 3-4 cups and seasoning to taste, bring back to a boil then reduce heat
- Add noodles and cook for 5 minutes or until noodles are tender
For the Noodles
- In a mixing bowl, add all ingredients, mix until dough comes together in a ball, pour out onto a lightly floured surface, knead 10-20 times, until dough is elastic
- Return to bowl, cover and rest for 20 minutes
- Cut dough in half, on a lightly floured surface, roll dough out until ⅛ inch thick, using a sharp knife slice ¼ inch strips, cut strips into fourths to make short flat noodles
- Toss cut noodles in a tablespoon flour, set aside until ready to use
Soup can be frozen in airtight containers for up to 1 month
Leave a Reply