I can't believe I'm just now getting around to posting the recipe for these delicious little cupcakes. I made them for Mother's Day, which seems like an ion ago. Life has really taken a few crazy turns since then, leaving me very little time for blog posts, food photography and such.
Maybe someday, I will take the time to relay a few of the details but for now...I'll share a chocolate moment, Malted Milk Chocolate Cupcakes. Times like these, demand many chocolate moments!!
The picture above, is my cupcake with the first batch of frosting. Sadly, I ran out of butter and decided to use some lard instead... what the heck was I thinking? I scrapped it off and made a new batch after a short trip to the market. The new batch was born, much lighter in color and a lot more tasty. I hope you enjoy the rich flavors of powdered malt in your chocolate as much as I do!
Note to self: don't use lard in frosting, it tastes nasty!
Malted Milk Chocolate Cupcakes
- Preheat oven 350 degrees line cupcake tins with cupcake foils or papers
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup malted milk powder
- 6 ounces semi sweet chocolate
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 ¾ cups whole milk room temperature
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 12 ounces milk chocolate
- 1 cup malted milk powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup cream cheese room temperature cut in 1 teaspoon chunks
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 stick ½ cup butter, room temperature
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and malted milk powder, whisk to combine.
- Microwave, chocolate and butter in a glass bowl for 30 seconds on 50% power setting, stir after each interval until mixture is completely melted
- Add chocolate mixture and milk and eggs to the dry ingredients, blend on slow speed until mixture is combined, occasionally scrapping down sides of the bowl
- Add vanilla and continue mixing on medium speed until mixture is blended and smooth, about 3 minutes
- Fill prepared cupcake foils with batter, leaving ¼ inch head space, use a measuring cup or ice cream scoop to divide batter evenly
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until the top springs back when gently pressed or a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, do not over bake.
- Transfer cupcakes to a wire rack and cool before frosting
To make the frosting
- Add chocolate to the bowl of stand mixer
- Combine malted milk powder and cream in a saucepan, cook over medium heat stirring constantly, bring mixture to a simmer, do not boil
- Pour hot mixture over chocolate, cover bowl with foil or plastic and set aside for 3-5 minutes, remove cover and whisk mixture until smooth.
- Place bowl back on stand mixer, using whisk attachment
- Add confectioners sugar, and blend until combined
- Alternate: adding chunks of cream cheese and butter, 1 teaspoon at a time, until all butter and cheese are incorporated, more confectioner sugar may be added to adjust for thickness, frosting can also be chilled if necessary.
- Fill large pasty bag with a fitted decorative tip, pipe frosting over cupcakes, garnish with malted milk balls if desired.