Paleo lemon curd offers those who follow the paleolithic “whole” food diet method a sweet option when craving dessert. This easy dessert recipe substitutes melted coconut oil for butter, and raw honey for sugar.
The texture of this healthier lemon curd is deliciously creamy, and the flavor is tart and sweet, just like my traditional lemon curd recipe, I could barely tell the difference.
This paleo lemon curd recipe is just as easy to make as traditional lemon curd, too!
- 3 lemons
- 1 1/2 cups raw honey (after tasting the lemon curd, I would reduce the honey to 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup liquid coconut oil (melt in microwave before cooking)
- 4 extra large eggs
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt (I used Himalayan Sea Salt)
- Remove zest from all the lemons with a grater and place zest and honey in a food processor. Process until smooth
- Add liquid coconut oil and process additional 1-2 minutes
- Add one egg at a time, process for 30 seconds after each addition
- Add lemon juice and salt and process
- Transfer mixture to a saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly until thickened, about 10-15 minutes
- Allow to cool completely and store in the refrigerator until ready to use
- Top with fresh berries for the total Paleo experience
The beauty of this paleo lemon curd is that it is versatile enough to be used as a filling in healthier dessert recipes. Of course, smeared onto a paleo scone is always a delicious option, too.