Ricotta cheese lends it's full, rich flavor to this cheesecake, but requires extra effort when it comes to creating a smooth texture; spending a few seconds in the food processor helps cut the gritty texture, resulting in a very dense and creamy cake.
I added fresh pineapple and peach compote to balance the richness of the cake, creating the perfect balance and abundance of flavor.
Ricotta Cheesecake with Pineapple and Peach Compote
- 2 15 ounce containers whole-milk ricotta
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons unseasoned dry breadcrumbs
- 2 8 ounce packages cream cheese room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon salt-free matzo meal
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoons sea salt
- Powdered sugar for dusting
For the Compote
- 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks
- 1 whole fresh peach
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Set ricotta in a fine strainer, and drain for 30 minutes to remove excess liquid
- Arrange rack in lower third of oven and preheat to 350 degrees
- Grease an 8 inch springform pan with 2 ½"-high sides with butter
- MIx 1 tablespoon sugar and breadcrumbs in a small bowl; sprinkle over buttered pan to coat.Tap out excess
- Transfer ricotta to processor. Puree for 15 seconds.
- Scrap down the sides and puree until smooth, about 2 minutes
- Add cream cheese; puree until well combined and smooth
- Add remaining sugar and all other ingredients; puree together, scraping down sides until smooth, about 30 seconds
- Scrape batter into prepared pan.
- Bake cheesecake until golden brown and just set, about 1 hour 15 minutes
- Transfer to rack and let cool in pan (cake will fall slightly)
- Refrigerate uncovered until cool, about 3 hours, cover and cool overnight
For the Compote
- In a small saucepan toss cubed fruit and honey together, cook over medium heat until fruit is soft
- Using a hand processor, blend hot mixture, leaving a few small chunks
- Chill in covered container until ready to use
- Dust cake with powdered sugar, spoon compote over cake
RECIPE by DePalma Babbo New York City Adapted from Bon Appétit
Tried this recipe?Mention @athomewithrebecka or tag #athomewithrebecka!
Yummy, what a fantastic recipe. I love the compote!
Hey Nancy, You're sweet to say so! I only hope to be as good a photographer as you, once I make my way through all your wonderful tutorials. First, I need to get a big girl camera! Saving my pennies for Christmas! Cheers
That is one lovely cheesecake. I like it that you have served it with the pineapple and peach compote, it looks so delicious!
Hi Joyce, The cake was very flavorful, almost tropical with the compote! xo