Putting my produce into action I often find myself creating the simplest of dishes, allowing the vegetables or fruit to shine all on their own. Not much fuss to cook but filled with luscious flavor.
Fresh red tomatoes, summer squash and a soft poached egg bring me back to earth on those mornings nothing else will do. Add a cup of pipping hot coffee or espresso and I'm relaxed in no time, ready to take on the day.
1 medium red or green firm tomato
2-3 summer squash
2 tablespoons butter
flour for dusting tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste
- Using a heavy bottom skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter on medium heat
- slice fresh red or green tomatoes cut about ¼ thickness, dust with all purpose flour and sauteed in butter until browned
- Remove from pan to a paper towel to drain any excess butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Note: Red tomatoes can get really mushy when cooked this way so try to find some that are fresh picked, nice and firm. If I have the option, I use green tomatoes.
- slice squash and saute in remaining butter until brown, salt and pepper to taste