Savory Bacon Crackers with Tarantas Monastrell Blueberry-Fig Jam and Creamy Goat Cheese is a delicious savory appetizer recipe.
TARANTAS TASTE OF SPAIN RECIPE CONTEST OFFICIAL RULES Create your Favorite Recipe & Wine Pairing for a Chance to Win a Trip for 2 to Spain!
WINNERS ANNOUNCED (05/27/2016 ) First Place Tapas: Rebecka Evans I'm so thrilled to win First Place in the Tapas category of Tarantas Wines, Wine Pairing Contest! There were hundreds of amazing recipes and the judges chose mine! Thank you Tarantas Wines and panel of esteemed judges!!
What wonderful motivation to create a new recipe to win a trip for 2 two Spain with this simple, yet elegant Tapas recipe. To make this contest even more appealing, there was no need to beg for public votes since Tarantas Wines chose an amazing lineup of Chef/Judges to decide the winner of this contest. I really enjoy a contest that is motivated by the recipe instead of popularity.
- Steven Petusevsky: Cookbook author, food service industry consultant www.stevenpetusevsky.com
- Elena Lepkowski: Stir & Strain www.stirandstrain.com
- Nuria Farragut: Spanish Recipes by Nuria www.spanishrecipesbynuria.com
- Derek Sarno:Co-Founder/Chef, Wicked Healthy www.wickedhealthyfood.com
- Caroline Edwards: Chocolate & Carrots www.chocolateandcarrots.com
I choose the Monastrell for its black cherry color and notes of violets and blueberry.
The result, one amazing Tapas recipe: Savory Bacon Crackers with Tarantas Monastrell Blueberry-Fig Jam and Creamy Goat Cheese!
I was so pleased how beautifully the fresh blueberries and figs paired with the Tarantas Monastrell! Follow the link to my recipe on the Tarantas web site to view my submission and hundreds of other original recipes created by home cooks and professional chefs vying for a cane to win the trip to Spain. The
Monastrell grape grows well in the flat vineyards and warm, rocky soils of the Jumilla region. The wine has a deep black cherry color with purple violet hues. The nose is clean, and fragrant, with bouquet of spice box, violets and blueberry. The wine has a smooth texture, with savory red fruits, soft and round tannins, well-balanced acidity, and a pure finish.
Great with salads, grilled vegetables and meats, rice and pasta, as well as cured Spanish cheeses and Spanish tapas.
Savory Bacon Crackers with Tarantas Monastrell Blueberry-Fig Jam and Creamy Goat Cheese
- 1 sleeve 16 saltine crackers
- ¼ pound smoked bacon
- 1 sprig rosemary
- ¼ cup fig preserves
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- ½ cup Tarantas Monastrell Wine
- juice from ½ fresh lemon
- pinch salt
- ¼ cup mild goat or sheep cheese -
- Heat oven to 300 degrees F. Line a baking dish with parchment paper.
- Cut bacon in half and wrap 1 piece of bacon around each individual cracker.
- Lay on prepared baking sheet, seam side down.
- Bake crackers for 30 minutes or until crackers are golden brown and bacon is crisp.
- Meanwhile: In a small sauce pan combine fig preserves, blueberries, Monastrell wine, rosemary sprig, lemon juice, and pinch of salt. Cook over medium heat until the mixture is reduced by half. Remove from heat, jam will set up as it cools.
- Arrange baked crackers on serving plate with a bowl of Blueberry-Fig Jam and goat cheese.
- Serve immediately.
- See more at: http://www.tarantaswines.com/recipes/?recipe=savory-bacon-crackers-with-tarantas-monastrell-blueberry-fig-jam-and-creamy-goat-cheese#sthash.JGJ6A4r2.dpuf
I hope you'll try my savory bacon crackers recipe!
For a list of Grand Prize Winner(s) and other category winners click HERE
This sounds delish, I want to make it for bocce next week.
One clarification, what do you do with the lemon juice? I a assume it goes into the saucepan with the preserves and blueberries?
All your recipes look wonderful.
I read about you in the Bay Area News Group "Eat, Drink, Play" section
Congratulations on your win in Gilroy.
You're absolutely right Jen!! The lemon goes into the pan w the berries! Sorry my instructions weren't more clear!
Thank you for visiting my blog! I'm happy you found a recipe you liked and plan to make for bocce next week! I recently served the recipe for a cocktail party! The guests just about licked the plate clean!
Also, thank you! Gilroy was a wonderful experience! The staff and judges treated everyone with respect and grace! It was a cherished win for me given the status of the contest among food competitors!
Let me know how you like the recipe!!