When I got ready to make this recipe today I began to wonder… how many people fear making caramel sauce at home? Are you that person? I remember a time when I was terrified to make caramel sauce but once I tried it I was hooked! It’s not just the flavor that will make you a convert, this caramel sauce is super easy to make!
If you follow my step by step instructions you will become a master caramel maker in just one try! I’ve added Philadelphia Cream Cheese to my sauce (as if it needed to be any richer)!
The final product is super rich and creamy and well…to die for!!
- Before you begin, make sure to have all caramel ingredients ready and next to you by the stove top. Caramel isn’t very forgiving so be prepared to stand by the sauce pan for about 5-6 minutes without distraction.
- Using and electric mixer, blend 3 ounces room temperature cream cheese in a medium mixing bowl until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add 1/4 cup half and half or heavy cream and blend for additional 2 minutes. Combined the ingredients will be approximately 1 cup in volume. Pour 1/2 cup of mixture into a small cup or bowl as set next to stove, reserve remaining cream to make Reposado Cinnamon Crema
- For best results use a 5 quart heavy bottom sauce pan. Heat 1 cup sugar on medium high heat in the sauce pan. Begin whisking the sugar as it begins to melt
- Sugar will start to resemble large crystals, keep whisking until the sugar is completely melted, when the sugar begins to boil do NOT stir.
- Watch closely, when the sugar turns a deep amber color add butter and whisk until butter is melted.
- Remove the pan from the burner once butter is melted, slowly add the cream mixture and continue to whisk until cream is totally incorporated.
Note: when you add the cream mixture, the caramel with foam up and double or triple in size, use caution when working with hot caramel as it can cause deep burns due to the high temperatures.