Gingerbread Cake with Lemon Cream Glaze
Long family traditions of cooking sweets reserved just for the holidays, bring to my mind recipes that embody the warm and comforting flavors of ginger, and cinnamon spice. Gingerbread cake, filled with a warmth of holiday flavors, enhanced by a tart lemon cream, its classic characteristics are vital to my Christmas dessert table.
This recipe produces a tender, fluffy cake, paired perfectly with the creamy tart flavor of the lemon glaze; another great recipe to add to your arsenal of holiday favorites.
Gingerbread Cake with Creamy Lemon Glaze
- For the Gingerbread Cake
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup very hot water
For the Glaze
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- ¼ cup milk or cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice 1 teaspoon lemon extract
For the Gingerbread Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13'' pan with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together the sugar and butter until smooth and light.
- Add the egg and molasses and mix well. In a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients together: flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet mixture and stir to combine. Slowly pour in the hot water and stir until smooth (batter will be thin).
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
For The Lemon Glaze
- Mix confectioners sugar with milk and lemon juice until smooth
Serve warm, topped with Creamy Lemon Glaze Adapted from Betty Crocker Cookbook 1998
Tried this recipe?Mention @athomewithrebecka or tag #athomewithrebecka!
Belinda Y. Hughes
Bon Annee' de Louisiana, Rebecka! This recipe sounds divine. In adapting for an eggless diet, would applesauce or tofu would work better here?
Merry Christmas to you and your family!
Wish you A Blessed and Happy New Year!
Your gingerbread cake looks so good. And with the lemon cream frosting, looks really irresistible! I love lemon frosting, tangy with a light lemony fragrance!
Thank you Joy!! This cake really is irresistible!
I love gingerbread cake! And lemon is one of my favorite flavors. Never combined the two, though - great idea! Nice recipe - thanks so much.
Hi John, You can thank my mother, she always used lemon glaze with gingerbread. She is a cake genius!
Brooks at Cakewalker
Rebecka, This looks FANTASTIC! The pairing of gingerbread and lemon is one I've not tried, but rest assured that will be remedied soon. Season's greetings to you & yours!
Hi Brooks, thanks for visiting my blog! Let me know how you like the recipe! Merry Christmas!
This looks so very delicious! My family is just loving you and your recipes =)
Thank you Christina! Tell your family I'm happy to cook for them anytime!! xoxo