YUM! Molasses Ginger Sugar Cookies are one of my all-time favorite family Christmas cookie recipes.
Rich, spicy flavor with a little crunch and chewy center, these cookies are sure to please. The heirloom recipe was passed down from my great grandmother to my mother.
These cookies are easy to make and will be a wonderful addition to your family's Christmas cookie collection.
Once you've tasted these charming treats you won't be able to stop at just one!
Molasses Ginger Sugar Cookies
- ¾ cup shortening or vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup organic molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon Mace or Allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Mix together shortening, sugar, molasses, and egg until shiny, add spices and baking soda and mix thoroughly, add flour and mix until the dough forms into a ball.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30-minutes to 1 hour. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees, roll dough into 1-inch balls, flatten with the tins of folk and sprinkle with sugar, and bake for 8-10 minutes
- I bet you can't eat just one...