Blogger Recipe Challenge
I'm honored to be among 30 blogger contestants in the Karoun Dairies Blogger Recipe Challenge. Each blogger was gifted two of the company's products for testing and recipe creation: Karoun Labne and Gopi Paneer.
I've created a savory Labne-custard pastry for my first entry in the contest utilizing Karoun Dairies Original Labne Spread & Dip. The flavors are slightly tart and deliciously creamy paired with sundried tomatoes, green onion, and a dash of Garam Masala to bring the Mediterranean flavors to the forefront. Savory labne custard is the perfect filling for puff pastry.
This recipe is entered in the Appetizer Category.
The easiest way to make this scrumptious Vol-Au-Vent style pastry appetizer is to use frozen puff pastry dough. The twisted style creates the perfect "well" or hole to put custard, cream, or any type of filling your heart desires.
What exactly is Labne/Labneh?
Labneh is a soft cheese, similar in texture to cream cheese, made from strained yogurt and popular in Middle Eastern cuisine. You may see it spelled lebneh, lebnah, labaneh, labane, labne, or labni. At about half the fat and calories of standard cream cheese, it's a healthier alternative. Though traditionally made from cow's milk yogurt.
Mediterranean cheese origins date back to Roman times. It is this historic and qualitative heritage that Karoun Dairies faithfully reproduces in its wide variety of Mediterranean Specialty dairy foods. All our products are made with fresh, growth hormone free Real California Milk. This ensures that they retain the traditional qualities necessary in a healthy Mediterranean diet, a diet rich in nutritious cheeses and yogurts.https://www.karouncheese.com
SAVORY LABNA-CUSTARD PASTRIES
- 1 17.3 ounce package frozen puff pastry
- ⅔ cups plus 2 tablespoons Karoun Dairies Labne
- 2 egg plus 1 egg yolk for brushing pasty
- 2 Tablespoon Sun-dried tomato in oil, fine chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Green onion, green part only, fine chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground, Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- zest from half a fresh lemon, about ½ teaspoon
For The Puff Pastry (VOL-AU-VENT)
- Thaw puff pastry in the refrigerator over night
- Place puff pastry one at a time on a floured surface and roll to ¼ inch thickness. Cut into 9 squares. Repeat when first batch is complete. Makes about 19 pieces
- VOL-AU-VENT style pastry Fold a square of pastry in half on the diagonal to make a triangle, but do not seal it. Make two cuts parallel to the sides of the triangle, about ½″ from the edge of the pastry. Unfold the pastry – you will have two v-shaped cuts. Fold both sides over the middle, tucking one under the other.
- Place folded pasties on a parchment lined baking sheet. Fill each pastry "well" or hole with about 2 teaspoons custard mix. Don't over fill
- Beat egg yolk in a small bowl and brush over the tops of the pastries. Sprinkle pastry with sesame seeds and bake 350F. for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown
- Garnish with chopped chives and sprinkle with a dash of garam masala
For the Labne Custard Filling
- In a small bowl whisk together: egg, Karoun Labne, chopped sun-dried tomato, green onions, garam masala, zest form ½ a fresh lemon, salt and white pepper
About the contest
- The contest has two categories:
- Appetizer Category: using either Karoun Labne or Gopi Paneer: $500.00 Cash Prize
- Entree Category: using either Karoun Labne or Gopi Paneer: $500.00 Cash Prize
Follow and Shop
Be sure to follow Karoun Mediterranean Cheese at the links below