Tonnino Tuna is looking for inspirational ideas to create “Simply Better Tuna Recipes” that occur when creativity is fused with unexpected flavors and ingredients that are made with the best tuna served either hot or chilled that makes everyday dishes into gourmet dishes.http://www.tonnino.com/
I believe I’ve accomplished the task of creating “simply better tuna recipes,” as I’ve formulated an updated and deconstructed version of the classic Tuna Salad. Traditionally, tuna salad ingredients are chopped and blended together with mayonnaise, served with a green salad on crackers or between two slices of bread. By dismantling the traditional ingredients, I’ve created this stunning sandwich. It’s much more interesting than just a tuna sandwich with only a blob of tuna salad on a plate – it’s a dish that opens a whole new world of opportunities for creative, tuna salad based dishes.
The unexpected flavors of Sweet Opal apples and the creamy texture of avocado induce a combination that translate this everyday dish into a gourmet dish that everyone will want to eat.
I hope you’ll try this recipe at home – it’s as fun to make as it is to eat.
This recipe is my second submission for the Inaugural Tonnino Tuna Blogger Recipe Challenge.
About Tonnino Tuna and the Challenge
Tonnino Tuna®, the leader of the finest cuts of wild-caught yelllowfin tuna is looking for spectacular bloggers to compete in their inaugural “Tonnino Tuna Blogger Recipe Challenge.” The challenge date has been set; the pots will be banging and the creative juices will be flowing to see who becomes the Grand Prize Winner of the “Tonnino Tuna Blogger Recipe Challenge.”http://www.tonnino.com/
- 1 6.7-ounce jar Tonnino Tuna in olive oil, drained oil reserved
- 2 wheat Bolio rolls or other crusty bread, sliced and toasted
- 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
- 1 large avocado
- 1 Sweet Opal (yellow/gold) apple
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 cups mixed micro greens
- 2 tablespoons crumbled quest Blanco or feta cheese
- Reserved oil from tuna
- 2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Drain Tonnino Tuna. Reserve oil for Vinaigrette
- Slice bolio rolls in half
- Butter all four sides of the bread with room temperature butter
- Toast bread under a broiler for 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned
- Remove bread from toaster and brush each surface with mayonnaise
- Set toasted bread on serving plate
- Cut avocado in half and remove pit. Gently remove skin and slice both halves thinly. Fan out the slices and lay them on the bottom half of each bolio roll
- Core Sweet Opal apple. Cut in half and slice thinly. Gently insert a slice of apple between avocado slices on both sandwiches.
- In a small bowl whisk tuna oil, lemon juice. rice vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper until emulsified
- Gently pull or “fan” the tuna fillets apart to mimic the same look as the avocado and apple.
- Lay the tuna evenly over the avocado and apple slices
- Divide the micro greens in half and top the sandwich with the greens
- Spoon dressing over the greens and sandwich
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon queso fresco over each sandwich
This sandwich is deliciously messy, you may need a fork and knife.
Keywords: Tonnino Tuna Salad with Apples and Avocado
Find Tonnino Tuna at a Grocer Near You
You can find Tonnino Tuna at a Whole Food Market near you.
Follow Tonnino Tuna