SAM’S FRESH SALSA-BLOGGER RECIPE CHALLENGE
FRESH, NOT FAKE
Sam’s Fresh Salsa has set the stage for culinary-focused bloggers, to compete in their premier Blogger Recipe Challenge #freshnotfake.
I'm honored to be one of only 30 bloggers chosen to share their culinary creativity using Sam’s Fresh Salsa products.
It's been a joy working with Sam's Fresh salsas, and I feel blessed to have been able to compete.
THREE NEW FLAVORS
Sam’s Fresh Salsa supplied bloggers with their 3 new flavors of salsa for testing, Cantina Medium Salsa, Salsa Verde, and Watermelon Jicama Salsa.
Tasked to create inspirational recipes with unique twists that will “WOW” the judges, my Shrimp Campechana is out of this world with fresh, BOLD flavor.
Hard-pressed to pick a favorite, Sam's Fresh Salsa flavors are all delightful. The Watermelon Jicama is especially refreshing and serves as the perfect base for Shrimp Campechana.
My last entry, Shrimp Campechana is made with Sam's Watermelon Jicama Salsa and entered in the Appetizer Category.
WHAT IS CAMPECHANA?
Campechana is a tomato-based Mexican mixed seafood cocktail. It can be made with baby octopus, oysters, mussels, shrimp, scallops, or white fish. My recipe incorporates grilled shrimp and contains freshly chopped vegetables.
The idea for Campechana comes from Campeche, a Mexican state on the Yucatan Peninsula where fresh seafood cocktails are served beachside. Flavor combinations for Campechana are endless.
Don't miss my other two entries, CHARGRILLED SALSA VERDE OYSTERS & CANTINA PORK RAGU OVER CREAMY POLENTA. Both are so delicious, infused with Sam's Salsa Verde and Catina Salsa's. They all taste #freshnotfake.
RULE OF THUMB
As a rule of thumb, when using such great-tasting, pre-made products for recipe creation, I mimic what's already in the bottle or jar.
In this case, I added fresh watermelon, jicama, onions, and cilantro then I tossed in some chopped fresh cucumber, jalapeno, avocados, yellow and red peppers; bringing it all together with succulent grilled shrimp.
Watermelon Jicama Shrimp Campechana
- 1 12- ounce container Sam's Fresh Watermelon Jicama Salsa
- ½ cup watermelon chopped
- ½ cup jicama chopped
- ½ cup mini cucumbers chopped
- ½ cup red and yellow bell peppers chopped
- ½ cup red onion finely chopped
- ¼ cup diced jalapeno peppers
- ½ pound Royal Red or another favorite Shrimp
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Juice from ½ lime
- In a large bowl, combine the first 7 ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Peel and devein shrimp. Skewer shrimp on metal skewers before grilling
- Melt butter, add cayenne, salt, pepper, and lime juice. Whisk and brush skewered shrimp with butter mixture.
- Place shrimp on a preheated grill and cook for 2-3 minutes flip over and cook additional 3 minutes or until shrimp are cooked through.
- Remove shrimp from skewers.
- Skewer 4 individual shrimps on individual long picks and serve as garnish
- Chop remaining chargrilled shrimp into bite-size pieces, and stir into the cold mixture
- Serve with tortilla chips
This is a home run recipe for the July 4th celebrations.
FOLLOW SAM’S FRESH SALSA
FIND SAM’S FRESH SALSA
You can purchase Sam’s Fresh Salsa at ShopRite, Acme, and Safeway.
If they are not in your local store, ask them to carry Sam’s Fresh Salsa products!