Butter Chess Pie…#3
I’ve tried to re-create the Butter Chess Pie recipe from Furr’s Cafeteria for years! I’ve come close but never met the standard for the creamy, rich flavor of the original recipe.
Furr’s recipe is the perfect slice of heaven; gooey yet creamy, and just the right amount of sweetness to balance the custard texture.
I’ve tried hundreds of recipes over the years, making two new versions this week. Both recipes boasted their incredible likeness to the Furr’s recipe but they both ended up in the trash! One pie was literally in the oven for two and a half hours and never set up. Nasty!
This is my third recipe this week, tasty but not the real deal!
I recently learned that Furr’s will not divulge the recipe come hell or high water! So if one of my fellow food bloggers knows the “real” recipe for this luscious dessert please feel free to share!
Butter Chess Pie
Furr's Cafeteria Butter Chess Pie
Write a review
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F.
For the Filling
- 1 cup room temperature butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
For The Crust
- 3 ounces cream Cheese
- 1 stick butter
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
For the Filling
- With electric mixer, cream butter and sugar
- Add egg yolks blend until combined
- Add vanilla, and flour beating on medium speed
- Pour into a prepared crust and bake for 45-55 minutes or until set in the middle
- Chill pie overnight
For the Crust
- Make crust using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter until well combined. Add flour and mix until dough forms a ball. Pat into a 9 inch pie pan. Chill.
- Optional: 9 inch frozen deep dish pie shell
At Home with Rebecka http://athomewithrebecka.com/
The Furr’s recipe has a cool yellow crust. Mine always end up with this crunchy brown top. I’ve tried covering the pie with foil but still no luck. Despite the crusty top this recipe was pretty good. I’m still hoping to find the secret recipe for the Furr’s pie. Until then, I’ll continue to post my valiant efforts in the quest to find the perfect Butter Chess Pie recipe.